5 Spice Beef Short Ribs with spring onion fried quinoa
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 4-5 hours on high or 8 hours on low; 20 minutes for quinoa
Makes 2-3 servings, plus leftover beef
Chef’s Tip- If you would like a thicker sauce:
Remove short ribs and vegetables from broth.
Whisk 1 ½ tablespoons arrowroot powder into broth and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. It should lightly glaze the back of a spoon.
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 1 ½ pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon 5-spice powder (or: ½ teaspoon ginger, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon cayenne or red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon thyme)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, cut into 1” thick slices
- 2 parsnips, cut into 1” thick slices
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed well
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Season short ribs liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add ghee or coconut oil to sauté pan and sear each side of short ribs, 2-3 minutes each side or until browned.
- Place short ribs in crock pot and top with garlic, ginger, 5-spice powder, carrots, parsnips, and stock of your preference.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4-5. The dish is ready when the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- Twenty minutes or so before you are ready to eat, combine quinoa with 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until liquid has absorbed, 10-15 minutes.
- As you are ready to eat, place a medium sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add coconut oil and sauté scallions until they just start to brown (2-3 minutes).
- Add garlic and 1 cup quinoa.
- Toss together and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a bowl. Place short ribs, carrots, and parsnips on quinoa.
- Spoon 5-spice broth over everything.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge to have as a snack or a substitute lunch in the next 3 days, or store in the freezer.