A Big Green Salad with Crunchy Chickpeas
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 30 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- For the chickpeas:
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas*, rinsed, drained, and dried with a clean kitchen towel
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- For the salad:
- ½ small red onion, halved and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 4 tablespoons vinegar, any kind other than balsamic, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup peeled, chopped cucumber (about ½ of a small)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper, any color (about 1 small)
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts**
- 4 cups mixed greens, preferably a mix including kale, spinach, and chard
- 2 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon raw honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
*You’ll only need ½ cup of the chickpeas today. Store the rest, fully cooled, for up to 2 days at room temperature in a bag you make out of parchment paper. This will help them stay crispy for snacking.
**To toast nuts and seeds, place them in a dry skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often, until they begin to turn golden and give off a nutty smell. Watch them carefully: nuts go from toasted to charcoal in no time flat!
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Make sure chickpeas are dry and toss with melted coconut oil; spread on baking sheet. Roast for 20-30 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 minutes. When the chickpeas are golden and slightly darkened in spots, dry and crispy on the outside and soft in the middle, they are done. Remove from oven and toss with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are roasting, pickle the onions and make the salad: Place onion, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and a pinch of the salt in a small bowl. Add water to fully cover the onions, if necessary. Set aside.
- Place cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes, apple, and walnuts in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup or small jar with a lid, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, mustard, honey, olive oil, remaining salt, and black pepper. Whisk or shake to emulsify.
- Add 2 tablespoons dressing to the cucumber mixture and toss gently to coat.
- When the chickpeas are done, drain the onions. Place 3 cups of greens on each of two plates. Top each with half of the cucumber mixture, 1 teaspoon of cheddar, ¼ cup chickpeas, and pickled onions to taste. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve.