Almond Crusted Quiche
Active Time: 25 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes / Total Time: 40-50 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition Corner: Eggs
Eggs are one of nature’s perfect foods. But not all eggs are created equal. Eggs from organic pastured chickens have been shown to contain a different nutritional profile than eggs from conventionally raised chickens. Because the nutrients found in eggs depends on what the hens themselves are eating, eggs from pastured hens contain higher amounts of vitamins and antiinflammatory Omega 3's. In addition, a clearer understanding of how dietary cholesterol impacts blood cholesterol suggests that there is no need to worry about the amount of cholesterol found in egg yolks. Food is best consumed in its natural, whole state, so don't miss out on eating whole eggs, including the yolk, which contains all of an egg's healthy Omega 3's and vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 slices bacon
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped into small squares
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 6 eggs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl and knead into a ball. Press into the bottom of a 6” round oven proof fry pan or baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes. It will not be cooked all the way.
- While crust is baking, cut the bacon into chunks and cook in a medium pan over medium heat (be careful not to get it too crispy).
- Once done cooking, move bacon to a paper towel to cool. Remove all but about 2 teaspoons bacon fat. Return pan to the heat and sauté peppers and onions in bacon fat.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs and whisk. Add the garlic powder, pepper, salt, red pepper, bacon, and veggies. Mix well and then pour on top of the crust.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until eggs are fully set. Optional: Broil quiche at the end for 3-5 minutes to brown the top.
- Let cool. Slice into 4 pieces. Store in the fridge for breakfasts this week.
- To serve, enjoy straight from the fridge or warm in the microwave (30 seconds) or oven (4-5 minutes in a 350 degree oven).