Active Time: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 25-30 minutes / Total Time: 40-45 minutes
Makes 10 servings
- 6 apples
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Core your apples and chop into bite sized chunks.
- Combine lemon juice, sugar, flour, and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Add apples to a large sauté pan and heat over medium until starting to juice. Add in lemon juice- dry ingredient mixture and mix well to incorporate. Sauté until apples have tenderized and a thick sauce has formed.
- Place on the bottom of a 9 inch baking dish.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together oats, maple syrup, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, cardamom, and sea salt.
- Cut the 1/4 cup butter into small pieces and mix into the oat mixture using clean hands until the mixture is crumbly. Pour evenly over the top of the fruit.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cover tightly with saran wrap and place in the fridge.
- To serve, heat individual servings of crisp in an oven safe dish in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until heated through. Alternatively, microwave individual servings for 30 seconds.
- Left over crisp can be frozen. To serve, thaw overnight or simply heat in the oven or microwave straight from the freezer.