Active Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 50 minutes / Assemble Time: 5 minutes
Makes 4 servings sauce and 2 servings “nachos”
- Caramel Sauce* (4 servings):
- 1 15-oz can full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or 2 additional tablespoons maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- To Assemble (2 servings):
- 1 large or 2 small apples, cored and sliced into ½ inch thick half-moons
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
*Don’t have time to make caramel sauce? Substitute nut butter instead! Melt 4 tablespoons creamy peanut, almond, or nut butter of choice until it is super runny. Drizzle on top of sliced apples, add toppings, and voila! Don’t forget to try the recipe with caramel sauce next time!
On Prep Day or the day before enjoying this recipe:
- Add first three ingredients to a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Stir continuously for 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and let liquid reduce (stir occasionally), until about half its original volume, about 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in remaining ingredients. Let cool.
- Transfer to a storage container and refrigerate. It will continue to thicken in the fridge.
To assemble and enjoy:
- Divide apple slices between two serving plates.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce (1-2 tablespoons per serving).
- Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon chopped pecans, coconut flakes, and chocolate chips.