Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 10 minutes / Total Time: 20 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cup gluten-free, old-fashioned rolled oats (NOT quick or instant oats)
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 2 cups water pinch fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cream, plain yogurt, or nondairy milk to taste (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped toasted pecans*
*To toast nuts and seeds, place them in a dry skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often, until they begin to turn golden and give off a nutty smell. Watch them carefully: nuts go from toasted to charcoal in no time flat!
- In a large saucepan, melt the ghee over medium heat. Add the oats and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes, or until they smell nutty and are slightly golden.
- Add the apple and cook, stirring, one minute.
- Add the water and salt and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, add the cinnamon, and cook 3-5 minutes, or until the liquid is fully absorbed. Stir frequently to keep from sticking.
- Turn off the heat and add the vanilla, milk, if using, and 3 tablespoons of the pecans. Stir to combine.
- Divide the oatmeal evenly between two bowls. Top each with ½ tablespoon pecans and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and serve.