Arctic Char with Tex-Mex Black Bean Slaw
Active Time: 20-25 minutes / Cook Time: 5-6 minutes / Total Time: 20-25 minutes
Serves 2, with leftovers for lunch
- 1 small Napa cabbage (1-1 1/2 lbs.), halved and thinly sliced; half reserved for Day 2
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained, well-rinsed, and drained again
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and ribs removed, finely diced
- 3 limes, 1 zested and all juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 4-6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, leaves and tender stems only, roughly chopped
- 4 boneless, skin-on, scaled Arctic Char* fillets, 5-6 oz. each
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- In a large bowl, gently toss cabbage, black beans, bell pepper, carrots, and jalapeño until combined.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together lime zest and juice, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, and olive oil until emulsified. Pour over slaw, add cilantro, and gently toss to coat. Set aside.
- Heat the ghee in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fillets with 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper to taste. Place skin-side down in the hot pan and cook, undisturbed, for 3 minutes. Flip and cook 2-3 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.
- Place one fillet on each of two plates, accompanied by 1/4 of the slaw per person.
- Package remaining fillets and slaw in an airtight container in the fridge, to take to lunch tomorrow. Package half of sliced cabbage in an airtight container and store in the fridge for dinner tomorrow.
*If you can’t find Arctic Char, wild salmon is a good substitute.