Baby Spinach Salad with roasted eggplant, shaved parmesan, walnuts, & balsamic and black pepper dressing
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 10 minutes
Makes 4 servings, plus leftover dressing
*Chef’s Tip: Making Dressings in your Food Processor
If you would like an emulsified or “creamy” appearance for your dressings, make them in a small food processor. Place all ingredients except for oil in your processor. Begin to process and add oil slowly in a steady stream.
- 1 medium eggplant, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 8 cups spinach
- ½ cup goji berries
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup shaved parmesan
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or whole, peeled, if using a food processor)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toast walnuts by heating them in a dry skillet over medium heat. Stir constantly until browned and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Let cool, and then chop.
- Dice the eggplant by first cutting it in half lengthwise. Cut each half into 2’’ thick slices crosswise, and cut each slice into large bite size squares.
- Toss eggplant with coconut oil and roast on a baking tray for 8-10 minutes, or until just tender. Set aside to cool.
- While the eggplant is baking, make your dressing. Place all ingredients in a mason jar and shake vigorously*.
- Toss spinach with goji berries, walnuts, and shaved parmesan. Reserve half of this mixture in 2 airtight containers in the fridge, topped with ½ of the eggplant, with dressing on the side (2 tablespoons per person), for lunch tomorrow.
- Toss the remaining salad with ¼ cup dressing and top with 1/2 of the eggplant (1 ½ - 2 cups). Divide into 2 servings and garnish with fresh cracked pepper.
- Store leftover dressing (at least ¼ cup) in the fridge to be used Day 3.