Bacon Hoe Cakes with Blueberry Syrup
Active Time: 30 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- ½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup cornmeal, stone ground if possible
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat (rendered from the cooked bacon), plus more as needed
- Preheat oven to its lowest setting, and place an oven-safe dish inside.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine blueberries and maple syrup. Let cook while you make the hoecakes.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal and salt. Stirring constantly (a wooden spoon is your friend here), pour in the boiling water in a steady stream. Beat until smooth. Let stand 10 minutes, while you make the bacon.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until it has rendered its fat and is crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Pour off and reserve all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
- For each hoecake, drop 2 tablespoons of the cornmeal mixture into the skillet and press gently with the back of a spoon to form a flat circle, about 4 inches in diameter. (Cook as many hoecakes at a time as your skillet has room for.) Cook about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Transfer to the plate in the oven to keep warm while you make the other hoecakes.
- If needed, add additional bacon fat to pan before frying each batch of hoecakes.
- Very gently mash about ¼ of the blueberries into the maple syrup. Serve hoecakes with bacon and syrup.