Baked Cod with Cucumber-Radish Salad
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 6 minutes / Total Time: 36 minutes
Serves 2, with leftovers for making tacos for lunch tomorrow
- 2 scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon tamari
- 4 (5 oz.) cod filets, skin on
- ¼ teaspoon each fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 lb. daikon radish, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup shredded basil leaves (use Thai basil if you can find it)
- ¼ cup shredded mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place scallions, ginger, garlic, and crushed red pepper in a small heat-proof bowl.
- Heat coconut oil in a small pan on the stove until melted and shimmering, whisk in lemon juice and tamari. Pour over scallion mixture, stir, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cider vinegar, honey, olive oil, and red pepper flakes. Add radish and cucumber slices, and toss to coat. Gently stir in basil and mint. Set aside.
- Pat cod fillets dry. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 9-13 minutes or until completely white and easily flaked with a fork. Transfer two filets to plates and drizzle with a heaping spoonful of the scallion mixture. Serve with ¼ of the Cucumber-Radish Salad per person.
- Prepare lunch tomorrow by filling leftover escarole leaves* with remaining fish, scallion mixture, and salad (use the leaves as taco shells and divide leftover ingredients evenly). Store in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.
*Create 8 tacos if your leaves are sturdy enough, or create 4 double layered tacos