Baked Strawberry Rhubarb French Toast
Active Time: 30 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 stalk rhubarb, diced ½” thick
- 6-8 fresh strawberries, stems removed, cut in half
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or ghee
- 5 slices almond flour bread - large cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl mix eggs, almond milk, syrup, and cinnamon to make a custard. Set aside.
- Cook sugar, water, and rhubarb over medium heat until the rhubarb starts to get tender but not mushy (5 minutes).
- Add strawberries and nutmeg and reduce to low. Simmer another 5 minutes or until strawberries are warmed through.
- Lightly grease a small baking dish or sauté pan with coconut oil or ghee.
- Place diced bread and custard in dish and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until custard is cooked through.
- Divide among two plates and top with warm compote.