Banana Nut Granola
Active time: 15 minutes/ Cook Time: 35 minutes
Makes about 4.5 cups
Nutrition Corner: Goji Berries
These berries have been used for thousands of years in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Goji berries have an impressive list of health benefits, including their ability to increase brain function, energy, and digestion. Goji berries contain a wide assortment of antioxidants and phytonutrients that help our bodies fight disease and function optimally. Conveniently, the small size of these berries allows us to get health benefits through consumption of a small amount. For example, weight for weight, goji berries contain 500 times the amount of Vitamin C found in oranges.
- 1 ½ cups raw pecans
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 very ripe banana
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup dry roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 3 sliced strawberries, stems removed, cut in half (per serving)
- Unsweetened almond milk, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking tray with all natural parchment paper.
- Place pecans in a food processor and pulse 4-5 times, just until they are chopped into smaller pieces. Add these to a mixing bowl.
- Add coconut oil, maple syrup, and banana to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- In the mixing bowl with the pecans, add oats, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, cacao nibs, and cinnamon. Mix to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and fold together until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the granola out in a single layer on your prepared baking tray. Pack it down using a spatula.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip the granola over, breaking it apart into large chunks as you go.
- Return to the oven and continue baking in 5 minute intervals until the granola is golden (for a total of 15-20 minutes more) and dry. After each 5 minute interval, toss the granola a little bit and break it into smaller and smaller chunks.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. The granola will crisp up as it cools.
- While granola is cooling, add flax meal, goji berries, and hemp seeds into a quart sized glass jar or other airtight container.
- Once the granola is cooled, add to your glass jar and shake until it is evenly mixed. Store at room temperature for up to 1 month.
- To serve, give the jar a shake and then combine about 3/4 cup granola with almond milk. Top with fresh strawberries. 3 cups of granola will be used week 1 for breakfast (Day 2, Day 4) and 1 1/2 cups will be used week 2 for a topping (Day 2, Day 4).