Banana Pancakes with crispy bacon
Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 25 minutes / Total Time: 30-35 minutes
Makes 2 servings
Nutrition Corner: Bacon
Despite the terrible reputation bacon has endured, the negative health implications associated with it are mainly due to the processing of bacon, or the misconception that saturated fat and cholesterol cause heart disease. While factory-farmed, industrial bacon is toxic to our health, grass-fed, organic, nitrate/nitrite free bacon is certainly part of a balanced diet. Bacon contains protein, healthy fats, glutamate, B vitamins, and selenium, to name just a few nutrients.
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pure maple syrup, to serve
- Toast walnuts by heating a dry skillet over low heat. Add walnuts and stir occasionally until fragrant and starting to brown, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- While the nuts are toasting, place bacon strips flat on a nonstick or cast-iron skillet. Turn heat to medium and cook until bacon starts to curl, about 7-8 minutes. Flip bacon and cook to desired doneness. Remove bacon and most of the bacon grease from skillet, leaving just enough to coat the bottom.
- Mash the banana in a small bowl with a fork until smooth. Whisk in eggs and cinnamon.
- Return the skillet you cooked your bacon in to medium heat. Ladle 1/4 of your pancake batter onto the skillet. Depending how large your skillet is, you may be able to cook 2 pancakes at once. Cook until pancake just starts to brown, 2-3 minutes. When it is firm enough to flip, flip and cook until browned on the other side, 2-3 minutes longer. Remove cooked pancake from your skillet and repeat this process with the remaining batter.
- To serve, plate 2 pancakes and top with toasted walnuts, maple syrup, and bacon.
Chef’s Tip - These pancakes will be very tender and moist due to the amount of banana in them. They will not bubble on top like normal pancake batter; they just need to firm up a little bit and heat through to cook they egg in the batter. Enjoy! These are delicious.