Bean & Vegetable Chili
Active Time: 40 minutes / Cook Time: 35-40 minutes / Total Time: 1 hour
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded if desired, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (omit if you do not want the heat)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
- 1-15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-15 oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- pinch of salt scant
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro, leaves and tender stems only
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño, and carrot and cook, stirring often, until vegetables soften, 7-8 minutes. Add garlic and next 4 ingredients (salt through cayenne) and stir well. Cook one minute.
- Add swiss chard to pan with 1 cup of broth. Stir and let cook until swiss chard is wellwilted, 3-4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pan, bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the chili simmers, in a medium saucepan bring 2 cups water to boil. Add a pinch of salt and the quinoa and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir, and let quinoa sit for 5 minutes.
- Place ¼ of quinoa in each of two bowls. Ladle over ¼ of chili, top each portion with 1 tablespoon cilantro, and serve.
- Package remaining quinoa, chili, and cilantro into two airtight containers for lunch tomorrow, and refrigerate.