Beans and Greens Tacos with Avocado Salad
Active Time: 25-30 minutes / Cook Time: 10-12 minutes / Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves 2with leftovers for lunch
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 small jalapeño or serrano pepper, diced (seeds and ribs removed, if desired)
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard, stems removed and diced, leaves chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 corn tortillas
- 6 tablespoons crumbled cotija or queso fresco cheese* (You can also use goat cheese or feta.)
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and chopped
- 1 small tomato, stemmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- juice of ½ a lemon
- lime wedges, for serving
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, and diced chard stems and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, 7-8 minutes.
- Stir chard leaves, beans, chili powder, cumin, ¼ cup water, and ½ teaspoon salt into onion mixture. Cook, gently stirring so that you don’t break up the beans, until the chard is wilted and vegetables are fully softened, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the vegetables are working, in a medium bowl stir together the avocado, tomato, 1 tablespoon cilantro, ¼ teaspoon salt, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Divide the taco filling evenly among tortillas. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese and some cilantro, and squeeze lime juice over, if desired. Serve 3 tacos and half of the avocado salad per person
*Reserve remaining cheese for Day 5.