Beans & Greens with Coconut Milk
Active Time: 25 minutes / Cook Time: 45 minutes / Total Time: 50-55 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 bunches kale, stemmed and thinly sliced
- ½ cup water
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- coconut milk, leftover from Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup, about ¾ cup
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- juice of half a lemon (optional)
- Heat ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute.
- Add kale to pan with ½ cup water and cook, stirring often, until kale is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add turmeric, cumin, salt, cayenne, chickpeas, broth, and coconut milk and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes.
- Top with ¼ of beans and greens mixture, ½ tablespoon cilantro and squeeze of lemon juice, if using, and serve.
- Portion remaining beans and greens, cilantro, and lemon juice into each of two airtight containers and refrigerate for lunch tomorrow.