BLT Salad with Chickpea Croutons
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 45 minutes / Total Time: 60 minutes
Makes 4 servings (except bacon: 2 serving’s bacon)
- 4 eggs, for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow
- 4 slices bacon, for the salad tonight
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and dried with a clean kitchen towel
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 10 cups field greens, including any leftover Swiss chard (chopped) from Swiss Chard & Chive Egg Muffins
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, about 1 lb. each, chopped OR 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 carrots, spiralized or peeled with a vegetable peeler into ribbons
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into half-moons
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 6 scallions, sliced into ¼” pieces
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- Pinch each fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- 6-8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place eggs in a small saucepan; cover with water by 1”. Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat and set aside for 8-10 minutes. Drain, run cold water over until cool to the touch, and peel. Set aside.
- While the eggs cook, cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Make sure chickpeas are dry and toss with melted coconut oil; spread on baking sheet. Roast for 20-30 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 minutes. When the chickpeas are golden and slightly darkened in spots, dry and crispy on the outside and soft in the middle, they are done. Remove from oven, toss with salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- Lay out bacon strips on the same baking sheet you used for the chickpeas. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until desired crispness. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the chickpeas and bacon are baking, prepare salad ingredients and toss lettuces, including Swiss Chard, in a large bowl with tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, radishes, and scallions. Slice each egg in half; crumble bacon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, raw honey, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Add ¼ of salad to each of two plates. Top each plate with 2 slices crumbled bacon, 2 egg halves, ¼ cup chickpea croutons, and dressing to taste. Pack the remaining 2 servings for lunch tomorrow, topped with one boiled egg each, storing dressing separately so the salad does not get soggy. (The chickpeas will lose their crunch, but still be delicious.)