Blueberry Lemon Sorbet
Active Time: 20 minutes / Freeze Time: 4 hours, divided
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (use the thick cream at the top)
- 2 1/2 cups frozen blueberries (the texture of frozen berries works better in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Combine half (1 can) coconut milk, the maple syrup, and the vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine. Simmer for a few minutes, until the mixture is bubbling slightly.
- Meanwhile, stir together the other can of the coconut milk and the arrowroot starch in a small bowl. When the mixture in the saucepan is bubbling, add the arrowroot coconut mixture all at once and whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture suddenly starts to thicken. Do not let it boil, though!
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat, add in blueberries and lemon, carefully transfer to a blender and blend until completely smooth. If the mixture is hot, let it cool in the fridge. Then, pour into ice cube trays and put in the freezer for 2 hours.
- Transfer ice cream cubes into a food processor and blend for 30 seconds or so. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving (this is how to make it without using an ice cream maker!!)
- Remove from freezer and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. Add crushed pistachios to serve.