Breakfast for Dinner: Asparagus, Zucchini, & Herb Frittata with Fruit Salad
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 20 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 ½ tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 8 asparagus spears, cut crosswise into 2” lengths
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into ¼” thick half-moons
- 1 small yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into ¼” thick half-moons
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided, plus more to taste
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped, divided
- ¼ cup chives, chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- For the fruit salad:
- 2 bananas, cut into ½” thick slices
- 1 cup blueberries
- 8 strawberries, stemmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Zest and juice of a lime
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a large oven-safe skillet, melt ¾ tablespoon ghee over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until it begins to soften, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ¾ tablespoon ghee, asparagus, zucchini, and yellow squash and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper; stir. Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened.
- While the vegetables cook, in a large bowl whisk together the eggs, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon parsley, 2 tablespoons chives, and water. When the vegetables have softened, pour the egg mixture in and stir once, gently.
- Let the eggs cook 1 minute and then run a silicone spatula around the edge of the pan, letting uncooked egg run into the space created. Cook another minute and repeat; you may have to tilt the pan to get the eggs to run to the edges. Repeat two more times, or until there is very little runny egg left on the surface of the frittata.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. When you remove from the oven, cover the handle with a pot-holder or towel, so you don’t accidentally grab it. Ask us how we know…!
- While the frittata bakes, make the fruit salad: gently toss all of the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle the frittata with the remaining parsley and chives and add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cut the frittata into 4 wedges. Serve 1 wedge and ¼ of the fruit salad per person for dinner, and package remaining frittata and fruit salad for lunches tomorrow. Refrigerate until needed. Frittatas are great warm or at room temperature, and not too bad cold, either.