Cabbage, Bean, and Italian Sausage Sauté
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 27 minutes / Total Time: 35 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- Leftover green cabbage from Week Three (about 1 ½ lbs.)
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- ½ lb. bulk Italian sausage, sweet or hot (remove from casings if you can’t find bulk)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut the half of a remaining cabbage in quarters. Reserve two wedges for dinner on Day 4; wrap tightly and refrigerate. Core and thinly slice the remaining wedges. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up with the spoon. Cook until almost completely browned, 5-6 minutes.
- Add onion and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 4-6 minutes. If the sausage was lean and the skillet looks dry, add water by the tablespoon.
- Stir in garlic and cook one minute.
- Add the sliced cabbage, salt, and ¼ cup water. Stir well to combine, cover, and let simmer 8-10 minutes, or until cabbage is fully wilted and tender.
- Add beans to cabbage mixture and stir. Cook until beans are warmed through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and taste for seasoning. Add more vinegar if desired.
- Serve half of the sausage and cabbage mixture topped with 1 tablespoon cheese, ½ tablespoon olive oil, and black pepper per person.