Cacao Crisps Breakfast Cereal
Active Time: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes
Makes 4 servings (about 3 cups)
Nutrition Corner: Breakfast Cereals
Traditional breakfast cereals today are loaded with refined grains, sugars, preservatives, and impossible to pronounce ingredients. This homemade version contains real, nourishing, whole foods, free of toxins, that you can feel good about eating.
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1tablespoon flaxmeal
- 3 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons very warm water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- To serve (per serving) ¼ cup yogurt, handful of fresh berries
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Add warm water, oil, vanilla, and maple syrup to a separate small bowl and whisk together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together until completely combined. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, or until a gelatinous mixture to form. (Start on other prep for the week while you wait!)
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- Place a piece of parchment paper (about the same size as a small baking tray) on a work surface. Transfer your “dough” onto the paper and flatten with the back of a spoon. Use clean hands to flatten out the dough to ¼” thick. The dough can be molded into a rough circle shape or square, just make sure it can fit onto a baking tray.
- Transfer the parchment paper and dough to a baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, carefully flip dough over (removing parchment paper) and continue baking another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Use your hands or a sharp knife to break or cut cereal into mini squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To serve, enjoy just shy of ¾ cup cereal with ¼ cup yogurt and a small handful of fresh berries.