Caribbean Black Bean Soup
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 30-35 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 8 servings
Make sure you read through the recipe first, as you can save yourself some time by finding pockets of time for ingredient prep while other ingredients are moving ahead without needing much attention.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups onion, diced (from about 1 large)
- 1 ½ cups bell pepper, diced (from about 1; any color)
- 1 jalapeño, diced (seeded if desired)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½” cubes (about 8 oz.)
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more to serve
- juice of 2 limes, plus more to serve
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat coconut oil over medium heat . Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, thyme, cumin, ginger, allspice, and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the sweet potato, tomatoes, and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans and sea salt, bring to a simmer, and cook 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, stir in the coconut milk and ½ cup cilantro.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the juice of two limes.
- Top with additional chopped cilantro and lime juice if desired.
- Serve two 1 ½ cup portions for dinner tonight, package 4 portions in airtight containers for lunches on Days 1 and 3, and freeze two portions for a quick lunch or dinner on a busy day.