Caribbean Black Bean Soup
This recipe is made Week 2 Day 7 and used this week for lunch
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 30-35 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups onion, diced (from about 1 large)
- 1 ½ cups bell pepper, diced (from about 1; any color)
- 1 jalapeño, diced (seeded if desired)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½” cubes (about 8 oz.)
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more to serve
- juice of 2 limes, plus more to serve
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat coconut oil over medium heat . Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, thyme, cumin, ginger, allspice, and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the sweet potato, tomatoes, and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans and sea salt, bring to a simmer, and cook 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, stir in the coconut milk and ½ cup cilantro.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the juice of two limes.
- Top with additional chopped cilantro and lime juice if desired.
- Serve two 1 ½ cup portions for dinner tonight, package 4 portions in airtight containers for lunches on Days 1 and 3, and freeze two portions for a quick lunch or dinner on a busy day.