Cauliflower & Coconut Milk Stew
Active Time: 45 minutes / Cook Time: 35 minutes / Total Time: 45-50 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- For the rice:
- 1 cup brown rice, soaked overnight, drained
- 1 ¾ cups water
- pinch of fine sea salt
- For the cauliflower: *
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (refined or virgin)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup diced carrot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk, well-stirred (Store the rest in an airtight container for Day 7)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup roasted cashews, chopped (optional)
*The ingredient list here looks long, but don’t panic! Most of what you’re adding here is spices.
- Add rice, water, and pinch of salt to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until rice is tender, 25-35 minutes.
- Remove rice from the heat but keep covered until ready to serve.
- While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add curry powder plus next 5 ingredients (through garlic) and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Add cauliflower and cook until bits of it begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and coconut milk, stir, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes or until cauliflower is almost tender.
- Stir in the peas and cook until peas are warm through and cauliflower is fully tender, another 2-4 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and add ¼ to each of 2 plates. Top with ¼ of the cauliflower mixture, sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 2 tablespoons cashews, and serve.
- Package remaining rice, cauliflower, cilantro and cashews in airtight containers for lunch tomorrow. Refrigerate until needed.