Cauliflower Steaks with Mediterranean Salsa and Cauliflower Puree
Active Time: 35 minutes Cook Time: 20-25 minutes Total Time: 35-40 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 2 garlic cloves, both peeled, one minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (zest the lemon first)
- ¼ cup shredded basil, divided
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste (go easy on the salt, since the salsa will be briny)
- For the Mediterranean Salsa: (prepare while cauliflower roasts)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch each fine sea salt and pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- ½ small zucchini, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed, drained, and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Remove only the toughest outer leaves from cauliflower (leave on any tender inner leaves). Trim stem to create a flat base. Resting cauliflower on stem, cut in half from top to bottom, creating two halves with stem attached. Cut off rounded edge of each piece to make two 1½"-thick "steaks;” set steaks aside. Chop remaining florets.
- Cook florets in a saucepan of boiling water until very tender, 6–8 minutes. Drain well, then process in a food processor with garlic, lemon juice, tahini, and 1 tablespoon water until smooth; season with salt and stir in 2 tablespoons basil. Set aside, with cover on to retain heat.
- Heat ghee in a large sauté pan over medium-high. Add ghee and swirl until melted, then add cauliflower steaks. Cook, lifting cauliflower occasionally with a spatula to let ghee run underneath, until steaks are deep golden brown. Turn steaks, sprinkle with lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to oven and roast until cauliflower stems are fork-tender, 10–15 minutes.
- While the cauliflower roasts, prepare the salsa ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients (vinegar through salt and pepper). Gently stir in bell pepper through capers, plus minced garlic and other half of basil.
- On two dinner plates, spread about 1/3 cup of cauliflower puree. Top with a steak, and spoon desired amount of salsa over steaks.