Cheesy Cauliflower Soup & Salad
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes / Total Time: 60 minutes
Makes 6 servings soup
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celeriac
- 1 large carrots, peeled or scrubbed and finely diced
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped (You can use the stem! Just peel off the tough outer layer and then chop.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cups chicken OR vegetable broth, preferably low-sodium
- 2 cups water, plus more for desired consistency
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium. Add the onion, celeriac, and carrot and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, bay leaf, salt, pepper, chicken broth, and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very tender and you can crush it against the side of the pot with a spoon.
- Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup (or transfer the soup in batches to a blender bowl to puree; return to pot).
- Turn the heat under the soup to medium-low and stir in the milk and cheese. Do not let the soup boil after these have been added.
- Cook, stirring often, until the cheese is fully melted and the milk is thoroughly combined with the rest of the soup, about 5 minutes. Taste, and at this point add additional salt, pepper, or water as desired.
- Divide the soup into 6 portions, packaging in airtight containers for lunches this week. Refrigerate until needed. If you did not make this for dinner Day 7 Week 1, you will have 2 extra servings.