Chicken Paillard with Tomato and Arugula Salad
Active Time: 25-45 minutes / Cook Time: 8-32 minutes, depending on pan size / Total Time: 45-60 minutes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 oz. each)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- 1 lbs. heirloom tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 3 cups arugula, or salad greens of your choice
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, grated or finely minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch each fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place chicken breasts in a heavy-duty plastic bag. Pound gently on each side until flattened and approximately twice their original size. Seasons with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper). Constantly whisking, stream in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Add the tomatoes and use your fingers to gently toss. Just before serving, add the greens (keep the greens for lunch separate, and combine them just before eating, if you don’t want them to get soggy).
- Heat a large sauté pan* over medium-high. Melt 1 teaspoon ghee. When foaming, add a paillard and cook, 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. (If two paillard will fit in a single layer, cook two at a time.) Remove from the pan and keep warm. Repeat until all the chicken is cooked, using a teaspoon of ghee per paillard.
- Serve, topping one paillard per person with 1/2 of the tomato and arugula salad.
*If you would prefer to grill the chicken, preheat your grill to medium-high. Follow the rest of the recipe as directed.