Chicken Parmesan with Roasted Broccoli
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 30 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. broccoli, stem peeled and broccoli cut into “trees” (florets on top of longer pieces of stem)
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil, melted and divided
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 4 chicken cutlets, about 4 oz. each*
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated OR finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil (optional)
*If you can’t find chicken cutlets, use two larger (about 8 oz. each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Cut each breast in half horizontally and pound to an even ¼” thickness.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Directly on the prepared baking sheet, toss the broccoli with ½ tablespoon coconut oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread into a single layer and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender and browned in spots. Drizzle olive oil, balsamic, and maple syrup on top, and toss to combine.
- While the broccoli roasts, heat ½ tablespoon coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium. Add the garlic, oregano, and dried basil and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until the mixture is very fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes and a small pinch of the remaining salt, bring to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes.
- While the tomato sauce simmers, heat the remaining ½ tablespoon coconut oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken cutlets evenly with the remaining salt and pepper and when the oil is shimmering, add in a single layer to the pan (you may have to do this in batches). Cook 2 minutes per side, or until both sides are lightly golden. Turn off the heat.
- Nestle all cutlets back in the skillet, if necessary. Evenly spoon the tomato sauce over each cutlet. Top each with 1 tablespoon mozzarella and ½ tablespoon parmesan. Place in the oven and bake 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the cutlets are cooked through.
- Place 1 cutlet on each of two plates and top with ½ tablespoon fresh basil, if using. Add ¼ of the broccoli to each plate. Serve.
- Package remaining cutlets and broccoli in airtight containers for lunch tomorrow. Refrigerate until needed.