Chilled Zucchini Basil Soup
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 22-25 minutes / Total Time: 35-40 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, seeds ribs removed (if desired), and minced
- 6 cups (packed) grated zucchini (from about 5 medium zucchini)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 5 ½ to 6 cups vegetable broth, depending on desired consistency
- 2/3 cups coconut milk, well stirred (transfer the rest to a storage container and refrigerate for Day 4)
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons shredded mint, divided
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add zucchini, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for 4-5 minutes or until zucchini starts to soften. Add 5 ½ cups vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer soup to a blender (you will need to do this in batches) and add 2 teaspoons each basil and mint. Puree.
- Transfer the soup back to the stove and heat over medium-low. Stir in the coconut milk. When fully combined, taste for seasoning and stir in remaining mint and basil. Portion 2 servings for lunch tomorrow and two for lunch on Day 3. Refrigerate. Soup is delicious cold or at room temperature.