Chocolate Smoothie Bowl
Active Time: 10 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 avocado
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 2-3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk
- Dash fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon raw honey, optional
- 2-4 drops stevia, to taste optional
- Topping Ideas (per serving, pick 2-3 that you have in your freezer, fridge, or pantry!): 1 tablespoon hemp seeds, chia seeds, or flax seeds, 1 tablespoon crushed dry roasted nuts or seeds, 1 tablespoon shredded coconut, 1 teaspoon cacao nibs, sprinkle of cinnamon, a few pieces of leftover fruit
- Add all ingredients except toppings to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more almond milk if needed to facilitate blending, however, try not to thin out this mixture too much. You want it to be a thick smoothie you can eat with a spoon. Pour mixture into 2 serving bowls and add toppings.
Nutrition Corner: Cacao
Cacao powder is derived from the seeds of Cacao fruit and is used to make chocolate. While sugar-laden chocolate bars are far from a health food, raw cacao powder is a Mayan superfood! Cacao is rich in magnesium, fiber, and antioxidants. It has been used traditionally for thousands of years, and is at the heart of South American culture.