Cinnamon Crunch Breakfast Cereal
Active Time: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes / Total Time: 55 minutes
Makes 4 servings (about 3 cups)
Nutrition Corner: Breakfast Cereals
Traditional breakfast cereals today are loaded with refined grains, sugars, preservatives, and impossible to pronounce ingredients. This homemade version contains real, nourishing, whole foods, free of toxins, that you can feel good about eating.
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
- 3 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons very warm water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- To serve (per serving) ½ cup yogurt, 1 tablespoon goji berries, 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- To serve (optional): On Day 2, add a topping of leftover grapefruit. On Day 4, add a topping of leftover apple
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Add warm water, oil, vanilla, and maple syrup to a separate small bowl and whisk together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together until completely combined. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, or until a gelatinous mixture to form. (Start on other prep for the week while you wait!)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Transfer your “dough” onto the paper and flatten with the back of a spoon. Use clean hands to flatten out the dough to ¼” thick. The dough can be molded into a rough circle shape or square, but it does not have to be pretty!
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully flip the cereal over by flipping and removing the parchment paper (if it is not crisp enough to flip, return to the oven until you are able to flip it). It is okay to start breaking apart the cereal into large chunks. Bake another 20 minutes or so, but watch carefully so it does not burn. You are looking for the cereal to dry out and crisp up, without starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. The cereal with crisp up further as it cools. Use your hands or a sharp knife to break or cut cereal into mini squares. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- To serve, enjoy just shy of ¾ cup cereal with yogurt, goji berries, and pumpkin seeds. Add optional toppings if desired.