Citrus Ginger Smoothie
Active Time: 10 minutes
Makes 2 servings
Nutrition Corner: Stevia
Stevia is a sweet extract of the Stevia rebaudiana leaf, native to Brazil and Paraguay. Stevia is a great alternative to other sweeteners because it does not impact blood sugar levels or glucose. When buying stevia, it is important to buy an organic pure leaf stevia. Check the ingredient list and make sure pure organic stevia leaf is the only ingredient. Stevia is about 300 times sweeter than sugar, so only a very small amount is needed. I prefer to use liquid stevia in smoothies and desserts, but powdered can also be used.
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 inch fresh ginger root, peeled if desired
- 2 oranges, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ cup full fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons flaxmeal
- 2 cups water or almond milk
- 4 drops stevia, optional
- Ice, optional
*Soak oats and quinoa together in a bowl filled with 2 cups warm water
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed to reach desired consistency. Transfer to glasses or mason jars to take to-go.