Cranberry Coconut Oatmeal
Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 10-12 minutes / Total Time: 20 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (NOT instant or quick oats)
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ¾ -2 cups water
- ¼ cup dried unsweetened cranberries, heaped
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup OR honey
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, dairy or non-dairy (optional)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped walnuts (toasting optional)
- Melt the ghee in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the oats and toast, stirring often, for 4 minutes or until the oats have browned lightly and smell nutty.
- Add the coconut to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 ¾ cups water and bring to a boil. Add the cranberries, stir, and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, until the oats have absorbed most of the water, about 4-5 minutes. If you’d like a looser consistency, stir in the remaining water.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and maple syrup and stir. Cook two minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the yogurt, if using, and the walnuts. Serve.