Creamy Carrot-Coconut Soup
Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 55-60 minutes / Total Time: 70-75 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 lb. carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon plus a pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, gochujang, OR Thaistyle chili sauce, or to taste
- juice of a lime (start with half, and add more as desired)
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro, optional
- Melt ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots and onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring often, until the carrots are softened, 15-20 minutes.
- Add broth, coconut milk, and Sriracha and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft and liquid is slightly reduced, about 40 minutes.
- Use a stick-blender (or carefully transfer soup to a blender—you’ll need to do this in batches) and puree until smooth. Taste and add up to ½ teaspoon salt. Add lime juice to taste. Stir in water 1 tablespoon at a time to adjust consistency, if desired.
- Once cooled, package soup in four airtight containers, sprinkling each serving with ½ tablespoon cilantro, if using. Refrigerate until needed for lunches this week.