Creamy Oatmeal with a Taste of the Tropics
Active Time: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 10-12 minutes / Total Time: 20 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- 1 small apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick or steel-cut)
- ½ cup coconut milk, well-stirred
- 1 1/4 -1 ½ cups water, depending on desired consistency
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice, plus more for serving
- 2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar, plus more for serving
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, almonds, or macadamia nuts (optional)
- Heat ghee in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add apple and oats and cook, stirring occasionally, until oats are lightly browned and nuttysmelling, 4-5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, 1 ¼ cups water, allspice, coconut sugar, and salt and stir well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir well, reduce heat to low, and cover.
- Cook oatmeal 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover, stir in banana slices, and cook until oats have absorbed most of the liquid, 1-2 minutes more. Add remaining water, if desired.
- Stir in nuts, if using.
- Divide oatmeal between two bowls. Sprinkle each with a pinch of allspice and coconut sugar, and serve.