Creamy Potato Soup
Active Time: 25-30 minutes / Cook Time: 30-40 minutes / Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes 4 servings (lunch on Days 1 and 3)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to serve (use paprika if you do not want the heat)
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. red or yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped scallions, to serve
- Melt ghee in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, zucchini, and celery and cook, stirring often, until onion and celery are completely tender, 8-10 minutes. Add thyme and ¼ teaspoon cayenne and stir.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are completely tender and fall apart when tested with a fork, 20-30 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and add more thyme, cayenne, salt and/or pepper if desired.
- Use a stick blender to puree soup until completely smooth. You can also transfer the soup to a high-speed blender, only filling blender bowl 2/3 full; remove the center of the lid and cover with a kitchen towel to prevent steam build-up and overflow. You may need to blend in batches.
- Portion soup into four airtight containers for lunches this week. Top each serving with a sprinkle of cayenne and 1 tablespoon scallions. Refrigerate until needed.