Crunchy Chickpea Snack Plate with Romesco Sauce
Active Time: 25 minutes / Cook Time: 50-60 minutes / Total Time: 1 hour, plus cooling time
Makes 2 servings
- For the chickpeas:
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- For the Romesco sauce:
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted*
- 1/2 large roasted red pepper (your grocery store may have them in the salad bar)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoons apple cider OR sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- For the rest of the plate (If desired, you can make “tacos” with the lettuce leaves, chickpeas, Romesco sauce, and feta.):
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 6 romaine lettuce heart leaves
- radishes, carrot and celery sticks, jicama sticks, and/or other assorted crunchy vegetables for dipping
*To toast nuts, add to a small dry skillet and heat over medium-low. Stir frequently until you can smell their nutty aroma and they are golden brown. It will vary with the type of nuts, but should take between 3-5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to completely dry the chickpeas.
- Transfer chickpeas to a medium bowl and toss with olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Put the chickpeas on the baking sheet in a single layer and bake, shaking the pan halfway through, for 50-60 minutes or until chickpeas are crunchy.
- Sprinkle chickpeas with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Let cool at least 20 to 30 minutes; they become crunchier as they sit.
- While the chickpeas roast, combine all of the ingredients, except salt and pepper, in a food processor or blender, and pulse until the sauce is mostly smooth.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired. Let sit at room temperature until serving. Any leftovers should be refrigerated in an airtight container.