Espresso Chip Ice Cream
Active Time: 25 minutes
Makes 12 servings
- 2 14-ounce cans coconut cream
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 14 ounces pitted dates, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes then drained
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ounce espresso or very strong black coffee, cooled (optional, but delicious)
- ¾ cup cacao nibs
- Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Add drained dates to a food processor and process until chopped into small pieces. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until a thick smooth paste forms.
- Scoop out the solid coconut cream from both cans and place in the chilled mixing bowl.
- Use a hand mixer to whip the cream until thick and smooth. Add cacao powder, vanilla, almond milk, and the dates. Continue whipping until fully blended together.
- Line a freezer-safe container (one that has a cover) with parchment paper. Transfer ice cream to this container and secure with plastic wrap and then foil.
- Freeze overnight.
- To serve, set out on the counter for 20 minutes to soften a little bit.
- Store, covered, in the freezer. This batch will be enjoyed week 3 Days 1, 4, and 7, and week 4 Days 3 and 6.