Flank Steak with Roasted Carrots
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 30-35 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 2 servings, plus extra steak and carrots for salad tomorrow
Nutrition Corner: To Peel or Not To Peel
Did you know that the skins of fruits and vegetables often contain many vitamins and minerals? For this reason, I never peel sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, or even beets. However, if you are unable to find organic fruits and vegetables, I recommend peeling them. Non-organic produce is sprayed with toxins that remain on the skin, even after washing them, and should not be consumed.
- 4 pitted dates, chopped
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 lb. carrots, scrubbed well, halved, and cut into 2” lengths
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted and divided
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 lb. flank steak
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- For tomorrow’s salads:
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted chopped pecans or nut of your choice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place dates in a heat-proof bowl and add the boiling water. Let soak while you prep the carrots.
- Coat an 8” square baking dish with ½ tablespoon coconut oil, leaving all the oil in the dish. Add the carrots and ¼ teaspoon salt and toss to coat in the oil.
- Add the dates and their soaking water to the carrots, cover the baking dish with foil, and roast for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, stir, and roast uncovered for another 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- While the carrots roast, sprinkle the flank steak evenly with ½ teaspoon salt. Heat the remaining ½ tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add the flank steak and cook 3 minutes per side.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cook another 3 minutes per side. Remove the steak to a plate, evenly sprinkle with the black pepper, tent with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- Serve ¼ each of the flank steak and carrots, sprinkled evenly with parsley, per person for dinner tonight.
- Place 2 cups mixed greens in each of two airtight containers. Top each with remaining ¼ carrots and ¼ steak. Sprinkle evenly with feta and pecans and drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over each. Add lemon wedges to be squeezed over the salads just prior to eating. Store in the refrigerator until needed.