Forbidden Rice Bowl with lemon mint veggies
Active Time: 25 minutes / Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
Makes 4 servings
It is delicious if you let the vegetables brown a little bit before adding the dressing. This flavor is referred to as “The breath of the Wok” or Wok hei.
- 1 cup black rice, soaked overnight (optional but recommended)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen edamame (optional)
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 4 dates, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes, drained and pitted
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Water, to thin if needed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into mini florets (2 cups)
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed and chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- Combine rice and 2 cups water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a small pot. Once boiling, add edamame and cook for 4 minutes. Drain through a colander and let sit in the sink.
- Make the dressing by adding lemon zest, lemon juice, mint, dates, and salt to a food processor. Begin processing and add olive oil in a steady stream. If needed, add a small amount of water until the dressing is thin enough to pour.
- Once rice is ready, heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Sauté broccoli florets for 3 minutes. Add all other vegetables and sauté until tender.
- Add ½ cup dressing and the cooked rice (3 cups) to the skillet and cook 3 minutes more, until everything is well combined and glazed. Taste and add more dressing if needed.
- Store half of the rice and veggies in 2 separate to go containers in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.
- Store any remaining dressing in an airtight container in the fridge.