Fruited Quinoa with Delicata Squash and Mixed Greens
Active Time: 35 minutes / Cook Time: 15-20 minutes / Total Time: 35-40 minutes
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 Delicata squash, scrubbed well, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup chopped dried fruit (try figs, dates, cranberries, goji berries, apricots, or tart cherries, or a mix)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped nuts/seeds of your choice (pepitas, sunflower seeds, and pecans are all great here)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch each fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups mixed greens
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a small baking sheet or dish, large enough to hold the squash halves side by side, with parchment paper. Rub the squash all over with the coconut oil, place cut-side down on the pan, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the squash is easily pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the squash is baking, add quinoa, water, and ¼ teaspoon salt to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked. Turn off the heat, add the dried fruit to the quinoa (do not stir), cover the pan and let sit 5-10 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, prep the rest of your ingredients and make the dressing. In a pint jar, add vinegar, mustard, pinch of salt and pepper, and olive oil and shake well to combine.
- Stir parsley and nuts/seeds into quinoa mixture. Taste for seasoning and add a pinch more salt, if desired. Spoon half of the quinoa into one half of the squash; repeat with rest of quinoa and remaining squash half. Drizzle with dressing.
- Toss mixed greens with remaining dressing, or to taste. Serve 1 stuffed squash half and half of the greens per person.