Garden Fresh Tomato and Herb Soup
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 25 minutes / Total Time: 55 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 6 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 ounces snow peas, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium head escarole (reserve 8 inner leaves, medium size, for lunch tomorrow), chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add yellow onion and stir to coat. Cook until onions soften and begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- Add scallions, garlic, broth, and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat off and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Alternatively, work in batches to transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to heat, add next 8 ingredients (through black pepper) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add escarole, turn off heat and mix to incorporate. Let cool completely.
- Store 4 servings in separate containers in the fridge to be consumed Day 1 and Day 3. Store 2 servings in separate containers in the freezer to be consumed Day 5.