Garden Vegetable-Stuffed Pepper with Roasted Tomato “Romesco” Sauce
Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 60 minutes / Total Time: 80 minutes (plus overnight soak for brown rice)
Makes 4 servings
- 3/4 cup brown rice, soaked overnight (optional, but recommended)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 bell peppers, tops sliced off, seeds scraped out (keep the pepper whole, for stuffing)
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Leftover chard stems from Swiss Chard & Chive Egg Muffins, sliced ½” thick (no more than 1 ½ cups. If there are still stems leftover, save them for tomorrow)
- ½ medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Roasted Tomato “Romesco” Sauce:
- 1 can (15 oz) roasted crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- ½ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Add brown rice and water to a medium saucepan with a lid, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- The last ten minutes of the rice cooking time, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, sauté onions in ghee for 3 minutes. Add zucchini, chard stems, garlic, fresh thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, and rice and heat through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Don’t stir too much; you don’t want the vegetables and rice to be mushy.
- Fill each pepper with ¼ of the filling. Top with grated cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the peppers are baking, make the sauce. Place crushed tomatoes, chili flakes, orange zest, and almond flour in a blender or food processor. Roughly pulse to combine, then with the machine running, slowly stream in the olive oil so that an emulsified sauce forms.
- Place ½ cup of sauce on each of two plates. Using a spatula and tongs, place a pepper on the sauce in each plate. Serve.
- Pack the remaining stuffed peppers and sauce to go for lunch tomorrow.