Grain Free Granola with Yogurt or Almond Milk
Active Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings, about 3 cups
Nutrition Corner: Grains
Of the macronutrients (protein, fat, and carbohydrates) grains contain carbohydrates in the highest amount. Once consumed, carbohydrates are broken down into sugar in the body. Sugar in the body increases the hormone insulin, and lowers the hormone cortisol. Ideally, we need cortisol to be higher in the morning to wake us up. Consuming too many carbohydrates in the morning can actually set us up for blood sugar ups and downs throughout the day, which translates into energy ups and downs and sleep irregularity at night. Eating a breakfast rich in protein and healthy fat is the best way to start your morning. This Grain Free homemade granola contains much less carbohydrates and sugar than traditional granola, while packing in protein and fat for sustained energy.
- ½ cup raw pecans
- ¾ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons flaxmeal
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup goji berries
- ½ cup full fat unsweetened goat, sheep, or cow yogurt, to serve (per person) OR 1 cup almond milk (per person)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking tray with all natural parchment paper.
- Add nuts, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, and salt to a mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- If needed, melt your coconut oil on the stove and then add to the mixing bowl, along with maple syrup. Mix to evenly coat.
- Pour granola onto a baking tray in 1 even layer.
- Bake on the center rack for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and increase the temperature to 350. Mix in coconut flakes and return to the oven, 5-10 minutes more. Check on the granola every few minutes, it is done when it is golden brown throughout.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. While granola is cooling, add flaxmeal, chia seeds, and goji berries to a sealable jar or storage container. Once the granola is cool, add this to the jar as well.
- Store at room temperature.
- To serve, give the jar a shake and enjoy about ¾ cup granola with yogurt or almond milk.