Grandma Carol's Chocolate Pudding
Active Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 5 minutes / Total Time: 15 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- Optional toppings:
- Zest of an orange
- Fresh mint leaves finely cut
- Heat almond milk, vanilla, and butter in a small saucepan on the stove at medium-low heat.
- While those ingredients are heating, in a separate bowl combine, cacao powder, sugar, salt, cornstarch, maple syrup, and an egg. Whisk together as best you can.
- Once saucepan ingredients are hot (steam will be rising off the almond milk mixture), carefully pour 1/2 of the liquid mixture into the bowl and whisk together with the dry ingredients. Once mixed well with no lumps, add back in to the saucepan on the stove.
- Continue whisking together until it begins to thicken, about 3-5 minutes. Once it begins to thicken remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. It will continue to thicken up.
- Enjoy a ½ cup per person. Store the remaining 2 servings in the fridge until needed. It's amazing to eat while it's hot but equally good cold!