Grilled* Chicken with Broccoli Salad
Active Time: 45 minutes / Cook Time: 6-10 minutes / Total Time: 45-50 minutes, plus overnight straining of yogurt
Serves 2, with leftovers for lunch
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast, 4-6 oz. each
- 4 cups water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw honey coconut oil, melted, for the grill grates and the chicken (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 lb. broccoli, plus stalks from Day 3
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2-1 tablespoon raw honey, to taste
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper, if desired
- Place the yogurt in a fine-mesh sieve or a colander lined with cheesecloth and place it over a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it down on the surface of the yogurt, and place in the refrigerator overnight to drain and thicken.
- Place chicken breasts in a resealable large plastic bag and pound chicken to an even thickness; about 3/4”. (Don’t get crazy working out your aggressions, as you’ll use the bag for the brine!)
- In a large bowl, whisk together 4 cups cold water, 2 1/2 tablespoons salt, and 2 tablespoons honey until the salt dissolves. Pour into the bag with the chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes, while you preheat the grill and make the broccoli salad. Wash out your bowl.
- Preheat the grill to two zones, one at medium-high heat and the other at medium-low. Cut the broccoli florets from their stalks and cut florets into bite-sized pieces. Peel the tough skin off of the broccoli stalks, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Add broccoli to large bowl, along with onion, sunflower seeds, and goji berries.
- Remove yogurt from refrigerator; dump the strained liquid and place the thickened yogurt into the bowl. Whisk in vinegar and honey, and once combined, add yogurt mixture to the broccoli salad; stir to coat. Taste for seasoning and add more honey and a pinch of salt and/or pepper, if desired. Place in refrigerator until time to serve.
- Remove chicken from brine; discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels, brush with coconut oil, and season with black pepper. Lightly oil the grill grates by coating a paper towel in coconut oil and, using tongs, rubbing the oil onto the grates. Place chicken on the hot side of the grill and cook until well-browned, 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is browned and the chicken registers 160°F on an instant read thermometer. If the second side browns before the chicken reaches temperature, transfer the meat to the cooler side of the grill to keep cooking.
- When chicken is done, serve two breasts with 1/2 of the broccoli salad. Once cool, chop the third breast and add to the broccoli salad. Package in an airtight container and refrigerate for lunch tomorrow.
*Chicken can be done in a sauté pan, if preferred. Follow the same instructions, minus the grill; preheat the pan for about 1 minute.