Grilled Marinated Steak Tips with Spinach, Mushroom, and Green Bean Sauté
Active Time: 50 minutes / Cook Time: 30-35 minutes / Total Time: 50 minutes (plus 8 hours marinating time for the meat)
Makes 2 servings
- ½ lb. steak tips, (also known as flap meat)
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Spinach, Mushroom, and Green Bean Sauté:
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided, plus more to oil grill grates
- 8 oz. cremini or button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and very thinly sliced
- ½ lb. fresh green beans, stemmed
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped if not baby leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling, if desired
- In a small bowl, whisk together tamari and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper). Place steak tips in a dish or bowl with a lid, pour over the marinade, toss to coat. Cover and place in refrigerator for 8 hours. (Even two will help!) When ready to start making dinner, preheat grill to high.
- Prep your vegetables while the grill is heating.
- Remove steak tips from marinade (discard marinade) and pat dry. Using a paper towel rubbed coconut oil and held with tongs, oil the grill grates. Sear the steak tips for 2 minutes on each side, then lower/move them to medium-high heat. Cook 6-8 minutes per side for medium-rare, or to desired temperature. Remove from grill, place on a plate, and loosely cover to rest while you make the vegetable sauté.
- Melt 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When shimmering, add mushrooms in a single layer, cut side down. Cook two minutes or until browned, flip to another side and repeat.
- When mushrooms are browned, tilt the pan and add the other 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil. When it has melted and pooled to one side, add the sliced garlic and fry until just beginning to turn golden. Return pan to flat on stove and add green beans, tossing until well-coated with oil. Cook, tossing occasionally, 5 minutes or until green beans are partially tender.
- Add spinach to pan, along with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, until spinach is just wilted. Remove from heat.
- Divide steak tips into two portions and serve with sautéed vegetables.