Grilled Shrimp and Tomato Skewers with Lentil Salad
Active Time: 45 minutes / Cook Time: 20-30 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Serves 2, with leftover salad for lunch
- 1 cup dried French lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1 small red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic OR sherry vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup mixed tender herbs, such as basil, parsley, dill, tarragon, and/or chervil
- 12 (15-20 count) raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, and patted dry
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ghee, melted and divided
- 4 skewers (soaked in water for 1 hour if wood or bamboo)
- For packing lunch:
- 4 cups torn mixed greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 oz. crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Preheat the grill to high; clean and oil the grilling grate.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add lentils, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and garlic clove to the water. Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook uncovered until lentils are tender, 15-25 minutes. Drain; discard garlic clove or mince and stir into the dressing.
- While the lentils are cooking, prep the remaining vegetables for the salad (shallot through cucumber). Add to a large bowl that will hold the lentils and allow you to toss everything with the dressing.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, black pepper, and garlic, if using. Reserve 1 tablespoon.
- When the lentils are drained, add to the vegetables. Immediately add the dressing, and toss well to combine. Add the herbs and toss gently. Set aside while you make the shrimp.
- Thread 3 shrimp alternately with 3 tomatoes on each skewer. Pack them tightly together, with each shrimp curling slightly around a tomato. Brush both sides of skewers with 3/4 tablespoon melted ghee.
- Place skewers on the grill and cook until shrimp are just cooked through, turning occasionally, about 4-5 minutes total. Brush cooked skewers with remaining melted ghee.
- Portion 1/4 of the lentil salad on each of two plates, and top each with two skewers. Enjoy!
- Toss the remaining lentil salad with the mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, feta or goat cheese, and remaining tablespoon of vinaigrette. Package into two airtight containers and place in the refrigerator for lunch tomorrow.