Hearty Vegetable Bake with Almond Bread
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 25-35 minutes / Total Time: 45-5 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 2 sweet potatoes, about 6 oz. each, peeled and cubed
- 8 carrots, scrubbed well, tops trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 1 large celery root/celeriac, about 8 oz., peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, about 6-8 oz. total, halved lengthwise and cut into 1” thick halfmoons
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, halved
- 2 shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise (leave the root so that the layers hold together)
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts OR toasted chopped walnuts,* optional
- 4 slices almond bread, lightly toasted (If you did not make this on Prep Day, the recipe can be found in the Other tab.)
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the sweet potatoes, carrots, celery root, and garlic cloves with 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil, ¾ teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Transfer to one of the baking sheets, spread into a single layer, and bake for 25-45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and slightly browned. Set the garlic aside.
- In the same bowl, toss together the zucchini, mushrooms, shallots, 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil, ¾ teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Add shredded kale and toss to coat. Transfer to the remaining baking sheet. Bake for 15- 30 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender but not mushy and the kale is wilted and, in some spots, a little crispy.
- Place all of the hot vegetables in a large serving bowl. Peel the garlic cloves and add them to the bowl. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parsley. Gently, so that you do not break up the vegetables, toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley, and walnuts.
- Spread each slice of bread with ½ tablespoon butter.
- Serve ¼ of the vegetables and 1 slice of almond bread per person for dinner.
- Package remaining vegetables and bread in airtight containers for lunches tomorrow. Refrigerate until needed.
*To toast nuts and seeds, place them in a dry skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often, until they begin to turn golden and give off a nutty smell. Watch them carefully: nuts go from toasted to charcoal in no time flat!