Herbed Roasted Vegetables with White Beans
Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 20-25 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, plus more if needed
- 8 carrots (about ½” diameter or thicker ones halved lengthwise)
- ½ lb. broccoli, (with stems, if possible) cut into floret “trees” (or just florets, if no stems)
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to finish, if desired
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to finish, if desired
- 1 cup cannellini beans, drained but not rinsed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup thinly sliced basil, plus more to taste*
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the carrots, broccoli, and onion wedges with the oil. If it seems dry, add more oil. Spread evenly on the baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the white beans to the vegetables and stir. Roast an additional 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. If the broccoli and onion wedges cook more quickly than the carrots, remove them as they are done, and then add back to the sheet pan for 2-4 minutes to heat through before serving. (The carrots should be completely tender, almost soft, and the onion wedges should be very soft and almost sticky—they may separate; it’s okay. Cook the broccoli to your liking; we prefer it to be browned in spots, but still have a bit of bite to it.)
- As soon as the vegetables come out of the oven, toss them with the nutritional yeast and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Divide vegetables evenly between two shallow bowls or plates. Top each with half of the basil and chives. Drizzle each portion with ½ tablespoon olive oil and serve.
*Cilantro, parsley, and tarragon would all make good substitutions (or additions!) here.